Lost

by David Wagoner

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you

are not lost. Wherever you are is called here,

And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,

Must ask permission to know it and be known.

The forest breathes, Listen. It answers,

I have made this place around you.

If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.

No two trees are the same to Raven.

No two branches are the same to Wren.

If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,

You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows

Where you are. You must let it find you.


Based on teachings the northwest coast Indians gave their children on what to do if they ever got lost in the forest...

Comments

  1. That's a cool pic. I have one like it hanging on the wall you gave me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored you have it hanging!!! This winter I'll be back on the drawing board with some ideas I've been creating in my head. Hope to post pics of new work soon in the new year...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts