Cornbread Dressing


It's Thanksgiving week and as I do every year, I start the holiday by baking cornbread on Tuesday morning. My annual ritual for the southern cornbread dressing my Mom taught me to make many years ago. After baking, I cut up the cornbread into small chunky squares and then dump them into a sheet pan to dry for two days. Basic instructions for the dressing below:

  • Heat butter over medium heat in a large pan. Add chopped celery and onion...cook until soft.
  • Add sage, poultry seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper to onion mixture.
  • In a large bowl, combine the cornbread chunks and Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned cubed stuffing.
  • Whisk together milk and eggs and add to bowl. Stir in 2 cups of chicken broth.
  • Stir in onion mixture. Mixture should be very moist. Add more broth if necessary.
  • Transfer to greased baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Put into refrigerator to set overnight.
  • On Thursday, cut butter into small slivers and scatter on top of dressing.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until it turns light brown on top.

Comments

  1. That sounds great mike. I think I'm going to try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you two had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Haha...I had leftover dressing with my bacon, eggs, and biscuits this morning. Weird but delicious....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts